Friday, October 4, 2013

I Want My Mom

I started my period while at my dad's house for the weekend. It was THE worst. 

First off, I was home with just my dad and younger brother. My step mom and sister were having a "girl's day" with my step grandmother. One that I, the step daughter, was not included in.

To make matters worse- a few months prior my step mom had called my mom to tell her that I had started my period and was hiding it (I hadn't and to this day have no clue why she claimed I had).

And the worst part of all was I couldn't even call my mom. I didn't have the nerve to ask and it was a long distance call. 

So what did I do? I dealt with it on my own and didn't tell anyone. Exactly what my step mom had accused me of doing earlier that year.

My plan was to tell my mom once I started again and pretend it was the first time. 

As fate would have it I've had a very regular cycle from the beginning (something I knew nothing about at the time). So every 28 days I was at my dad's. Keeping my secret. Not knowing how to go back and fix the situation.

Until finally my step mom made a call to my mom once again. Calling me a liar. Telling my mom that she was right and I had been keeping this secret all along. So I told my mom the truth. And a weight was lifted. My mom knew. She made things better. She understood. She believed me. And that made all the difference. 

I love my step daughter. I want to be there for her. I want to be involved in her life. But at the end of the day, sometimes only her mom will do. And that's okay. 






No comments:

Post a Comment